Words, the Impeccable being in my Life
I first came across enormous worlds through the power of words lying around my house. Like they were breathing for me to be alive. In my intellectual household, I was fond of the giant shelves that took all the place. I would take my time to imagine every possibility I could and choose a new story every time. My mum's shelf, my father's huge stacks, then my sister's collections, welcomed me in a subtle way to explore beyond and beyond.
I still remember picking up a unique title each time from our personal primary school library that my teacher set up for us. It was the magic iron almirah in our classroom. Each week we would wait for our turn to pick up something new, everyone waited patiently for our teacher to unlock the door with her powerful keys. We would all jump in, overjoyed. I have 'The Treasure Island' from 5th grade on my shelf today. I still adore it so much.
My first novel 'Matilda' by Roald Dahl was gifted by my sister. I remember on the call she told me that she was buying fiction for me and instead I heard the mathematical expression of 'fractions'. I literally sobbed thinking of dealing with another lousy math hour. I can see why I never proceeded with mathematics in high school. So back to the old times, I was delighted to see a beautifully illustrated novel in my hands. I would stay up all night secretly and read it under my blanket. It was winter so I didn't feel much suffocated inside. I always carry it in my heart, the quote "You are not alone". I was indeed not alone as I used to think. I am forever grateful to my sister for everything she has done.
I was told when I was a kid, I used to have a pen in my left hand all the time. I'd write my own language called 'Buju' and scribble even on people's hands and clothes. I still have my mental Buju dictionary, filled with the most weirdly gorgeous words.
So there begins my affair with words. I have been reading and writing since forever. And I know that I won't be stopping. Ever.
Welcome to my blog, I am Revika Sangamita, a queer poet, voracious reader and dreamer from New Delhi. I am here with my story and ready to share my reviews of other wonderous stories. I'm so excited to get started.
Please make yourself at home!
Made me smile yaar, so good <3
ReplyDeleteAww Thank you so much!!
Delete